Sunday, December 26, 2010

I’m not fat, I’m Italian!

I get it. I have to go on a diet. I have to eat cold salads and chicken everyday. I recognize and understand this idea. And I promise I will start my diet right after the Holidays. I know it seems like an excuse, but if you knew what the holidays were like in my family you would understand why I cannot say no to eating everything in sight on these particular occasions.

Let’s take the Vigil (La Vigilia) for example. The Vigil is a feast that consists of seven different seafood dishes to represent the seven sacraments. It’s a celebration of the wait (Vigilia di Natale) for the midnight birth of the baby Jesus, but more truthfully it’s a celebration of food. Allow me to show you:

Haddock with Tomatoes.
Cioppino.
Aioli.Spaghetti with Tuna & Olives.
Fettuccine with Muscles, Scallops & Shrimp in a Cream Sauce.
Calamari.
Smelts.
Stuffed Clams.
Scallops with Farfalle.
Bruschetta with Anchovies.
Buccala.
Bread & Olive Oil.
Navals.

If you ask me to be on a diet, especially a low-carb diet, on the night of the vigil I will slap you. If you are a true Italian you will understand the fervor I have for this night; the passion for this food. Those who aren’t Italian simply don’t understand. Until you’ve wiped homemade tomato sauce off the side of your face with a fat slice of Italian bread you’ll never understand.

I'll start my diet after the holidays, til then buon appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment