Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Happy tuesday.

Day one of my diet and this is what I walk into at work:





Happy friggin' Tuesday.

This, my friends, is called a cookie swap. Everyone makes cookies, and/or some other kind of sweet treat, and then swaps them for more cookies. Loads of Holiday fun for the normal person, the equivalent of a loaded heroin needle to a junk food junkie like me.

Somehow I made it through the entire eight hour work day without even a nibble of a cookie. I know what you're thinking "Oh, Gina! good job! You have such will power." But my not caving in and smashing 28 cookies in my face has nothing to do with willpower (well, maybe a teeny-weeny bit) and everything to do with the time of day. I'm not a morning or afternoon eater, I'm a night eater. The fact that I was busy at work sipping my beloved iced coffee saved my diet today.(Day one and I'm already having to be saved.)

But, it's not just annual cookie swaps that I have to deal with here at Satan's Vagina (aka my place of employment). No, cookie swaps don't even begin to graze the tip of the enticement iceberg. In the field of education/child care, food temptation take on many attractive forms,such as:
Morning snack.
Afternoon snack.
Greasy, fatty oh-so-forbidden, mouth watering school lunches. (Shout out to Pizza Wednesday and Mac & Cheese Monday.)
Staff Pot Luck dinners.
Staff meetings endowed with free pizza for all and build your own sundaes.
Children's birthday celebrations in the form of Hoodsie Cups and whipped cream.
Parent breakfasts.
And so on…

Working in a school setting is risky on one’s willpower. Everyday is a struggle to not gorge-especially when everyone around you is gorging in their skinny jeans.
Since I'm being 100% honest in this blog no matter what, I have to admit that today when I was sure that no one was looking, I stole two bites of a piece of pizza and then just as quickly dumped the remaining evidence in the trash. I don’t know why I did it. The want for that cheesy, doughy, saucy smorgasbord of goodness overcame my better judgment. I wasn’t thinking about the ramifications of eating it like how guilty I would feel afterward or the five days of constipation that are sure to follow. All I could feel at that moment was desire.

I can't be the only person with massive food temptation at work; so, my question is, what are your work temptations and how do you overcome them? I'm dying to know.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Those pictures are crazy! I did not go into that death trap (aka: The Conference Room) to see the spectacle for myself! Love the shout outs to Pizza Wednesdays and Mac&Cheese Mondays :)

    See you tomorrow for PARENT BREAKFAST!! AHHHHH! Bagels and danish and croissants, oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gina! At the hotel I work at, we most often get the leftovers from some of the meetings (cookies, finger foods, beautiful, scrumptious desserts) but I usually ask myself before I eat it "does this fill or fuel my body". Sometimes I'll have a nibble if it's been awhile since I've had something decadent, but usually I don't. I also try to tell myself "it'll be there again."

    I'm big into clean eating too so usually if I eat sweets, it's something that I've made at home.

    Good luck! I've been through exactly the same thing. :-)

    ReplyDelete